As you start off with various yoga techniques during your teacher training sessions, I am sure you are also introduced to Yoga Nidra. Somehow the concept of training is so conditioned that it often seems difficult to imagine that relaxation can be part of a workshop on yoga.
What is Yoga Nidra?
So the question that bothers us is what Yoga Nidra is? In very simple words, Yoga Nidra is a conscious relax sleep. Some people mix it up with lucid dreaming, but it is much more deeper and conscious than that, it helps human mind to relax in this running stressed out modern world.
Also it is the logical end to a yoga class. You must understand that through the various yoga asanas and the myriad yoga posture your body undergoes deep restorative action. This conscious sleep meditation helps you to achieve the final fruition of the beneficial and restorative action of yoga.
While the various yoga asanas heighten the flow of energy and average energy levels in your body, this simple relaxation exercise helps to conserve and channelize this energy in a constructive fashion.
Benefits of Yoga Nidra
Whether you undertake training about Yoga Nidra through online or book training, it is quite obvious that the benefits of Yoga Nidra is quite widespread and goes beyond physical rest. Some of the most important benefits include, it’s being used by physiologist to work on deep trauma, hospitals are also using it. Some corporate world using it for their staff to increase their creativity and enthusiasm.
- This relaxation exercise helps cool down and relax the body, mind. Twenty minutes yoga Nidra is like 4 hours sleep.
- It helps to rejuvenate mind so you can have a stress free life.
- Stimulates the body’s nervous system in a way that the positive impact of the various yoga asanas is absorbed in totality.
- It helps insomnia patients to sleep.
- It is enhance emotional stability.
- It is a passive conscious meditation with regular practice you can have a glimpse of turiya (a stage of samadhi)
Yoga Nidra In Simple Steps
So now that you understand the key concept and the great benefits of this key element of your yoga training, the question is how to do Yoga Nidra? Here is a quick 9-step guide
- You must lie down straight in Savasana, close your eyes and allow your attention to come into here and now, listening to the sound around, including all sounding relax completely.
- Start taking in slow breaths to allow the body parts to relax at its own.bringing attention to each body part.it reaches to absolute relaxation
- Gradually start noticing your right leg. First, the right foot, gradually move up to the calf, your knees, thigh, hip and the entire leg, you will realize bringing attention to it, it relaxes by itself,do not force to relax, that is opposite of yoga Nidra.
- Repeat the same with your left leg
- Now gradually move up your torso, front and back of torso, continuing to notice relaxation happening to every part, whole back, the lower abdomen region, stomach, chest and gradually reach your hand.
- Just like your legs, the relaxation of hands also happens in step by step process. Start with the right arms and work down slowly to the palms and eventually the fingers
- Repeat the process with your left arms, palms and fingers
- Now gradually move up to your throat, neck, face and eventually your head
- Take a deep breath and make sure you stay in this state for few before gradually awakening every body part back in the same manner.
- Don’t be in a hurry, gradually come to consciousness and complete awakening, slowly get up and sit and slowly open your eyes. In fact, there are many yoga teacher training online or otherwise which focus specifically on this Yoga Nidra Teacher Training.
How do I find Yoga Nidra Class?
So you might be wondering how you can experience this guided training on a daily basis. You can try in you tube videos, there are some good ones, While training online is one option, you can also undertake complete Yoga Nidra training. You can even refer to online training and take up teacher training specifically for expertise in this intense conscious sleep meditation.
Diyayoga offers one week yoga nidra course, if you are interested to learn how to give yoga nidra session. Book online to learn technique and awareness about which words to use, while leading session, where and when to use it. How it can help your self growth, you may apply Yoga Nidra online on diyayoga.com