Enquiry / Online Booking10:30 am to 1:30 pm & 2:30 am to 5:30 pm Divar Island
- Operational Month : June - Jan
- Min 5 pax required
- 8:00 am to 5:30 pm
- Start Rs. 1799 Per Head
- Adventure Trekking Package
- Pick and Drop not included in Cost
from -19% OFF
Tambdi Surla Waterfalls is Located inside the Bhagwan Mahavir National Park, It is a 12th century Shaivaite temple of Lord Mahadev. Due to its remote location, people often miss the opportunity to visit the temple. But a trip to Goa is incomplete without a visit to this ancient Tambdi Surla temple which is a treat to eyes because of its unique style of construction. Set amidst nature, this divine place is not known for its religious importance only but also known for its fascinating architecture.
History and architecture
When the temple was constructed, Kadamba dynasty was ruling during the time. This temple is the only specimen of Kadamba-Yadava architecture. Tambdi Surla is noted as the oldest temple in Goa. The temple was built by Hemadri, the minister of the Yadava King Ramachandra. It is built in the Hemadpanthi style from basalt. The intricate carvings adorn the interior and the sides of the temple. The hard work of the skilled workers can be seen in the beautiful walls of the temple.
The temple has seen invasions and a lot of turmoil but it has survived all that because of its remote location amidst the deep forest. Along with Lord Shiva, the temple has fascinating figures of Lord Vishnu and Brahma. Every corner of the temple tells a story. Tambdi Surla faces east so that the rays of the rising sun first falls on the deity.
You can only hear the sound of the stream and the chirping of birds when you are in the temple premises. There is a headless Nandi right at the center of the temple. River Surla flows by the temple.
Tamdbi Surla waterfalls
Tambdi Surla waterfalls is 90 minutes away from the temple. If you are visiting the temple, a trek to the waterfalls should be a must in your to-do list. The falls is located amidst thick forest, so it is recommended to take a local guide along. The trek might take a little more than 90 minutes depending on the steep ascent.
Once you reach the waterfalls, you will find your painful trek a worthy adventure. The breathtaking nature, cascading falls and the drizzle on your face, it is the best thing you will ever experience.
Trek to the waterfalls
The trail from the temple to the Tambdi Surla waterfalls is quite simple and easy to follow. While on your route, you will also find a few streams flowing down the hills. The fresh air and pristine water will definitely make you fall in love with the place. Initially, the path of trekking is quite wide but gradually the path narrows.
Though you won’t come across animals like leopards on your way yes, be prepared as it is home to a large number of reptiles, small and big. You may find a few snakes or some other small animals. The best thing about the trek is spotting colorful birds which can’t be seen in the crowded cities. The multihued butterflies will also attract your attention.
Finally, your destination arrives
When you see the waterfalls, you are speechless. It is so beautiful, just like the mention of stream in a poem. Water cascading from a height of 50 meters in a zigzag way looks really beautiful. There is a little pool created by the falls. If you want, you can take a dip in the chilly cold clear water. Create magical memories by clicking the best pictures of your life. Both the places, the temple and the waterfalls, both are worth visiting.
Tambdi Surla Waterfalls - How to reach?
- From Madgaon: The temple is around 56 km from the Madgaon city. You have to cross Ponda city. It takes 1.30 hours to reach.
- From Panjim: The temple is located at a distance of 69 km from the capital city of Panjim. If you drive, it will take around 2 hours to reach your destination.
- For trekking to the waterfalls, it will take another 90minutes from the temple.
Best time to visit Tambdi Surla
The best time to visit the Tambdi Surla temple are the months from June to December. The weather is pleasant during the monsoon season and the plethora of the gushing stream can be best enjoyed during and after the rainy season. So these are the best months when you can enjoy Tambdi Surla at its best. Apart from nature and the temple, you would only find some monkeys hopping from here and there.
Stay and Accommodation
It is just 22kms from Valpoi. Nearby the temple, there is a village, so you won’t get proper accommodation. You can stay in some city of Goa and visit the temple. Or you can also book rooms in the resorts located in the Bhagwan Mahaveer National park.
Nature’s resort is an admirable place for stay. They also conduct a trip to the temple and a trek to the waterfalls. This trip includes breakfast and lunch in the resort. The trek starts in the morning after breakfast and once you are back to the hotel after the adventure, they serve delicious lunch. To admire the temple, a travel is worth it.
Things to remember
- Don’t forget to carry your camera along.
- Wear comfortable clothes and footwear.
- Apart from the camera, don’t carry or wear valuables
- Don’t litter the clean area with plastic wrappers and cans
- Respect nature, nature will definitely respect you back.
The place is unbelievably quiet. It is not generally crowded. You will love the sound of the rippling stream and the chirping of birds. Mahashivaratri is celebrated with pomp and show in the temple where the visitors as well as the locals of the area participate with all their heart and soul. Goa resides here, for sure. This place is a worth visit for those who seek solace in nature.
Day Package: Trek to Tambdi Surla Waterfall
Difficulty Level: Medium ( 90 mins one way Trek)
Availability: June to Jan
Time: 8:00 am to 5:30 pm
- Guided Trek to Tambdi Surla Waterfall
- Visit to 13th Century Tambdi Surla Temple
- Buffet Lunch
- 2 Adventure Activities (Flying fox & Wall Climbing)
- Evening Tea
- Complimentary use of Fish Spa at Natural Bubble Spring.
Breakfast: Kanda Poha & Tea
- Vegetable Gravy Dish (Beans / chick pea/ Mix vegetables cooked in coconut gravy)
- Goan vegetable (Locally cultivated leafy vegetables/ fresh beans/ oburgines/ lady finger cooked in Goan style)
- Goan yellow Dal
- Traditional Goan fish curry (Coconut curry with tamarind to be eaten with rice)
- Goan Fish fry (Fish shallow fried with mild spice and semolina)
- Chicken curry in Goan Style (Chicken Xacuti/ Chicken Vindaloo- mild)
- Bhakri (Indian Bread)
- Salad, Papad, Pickle
- Goan sweet dish (Kheer/ Payasam/ Mangane: sago in sweet coconut milk)
- Sol kadi- Kokum curry
Evening Tea: Tea with Rusk
08:00 am – 08:30 am: Arrival at Nature's Nest Resort & Breakfast
08:30 am – 09:00 am: Briefing by Guide & transfer to the trek start point (* Transport is not included in the package)
09:00 am – 10:30 am: Guided Trekking
10:30 am – 11:30 am: Spend time at the waterfall
11:30 am – 01:00 pm: Trek Back to the location where it started
01:00 pm – 01:30 pm: Visit 13th Century Tambdi Surla Temple (Optional)
01:30 pm – 02:00 pm: Transfer back to the resort (* Transport is not included in the package)
02:00 pm – 03:00 pm: Buffet Lunch
03:00 pm – 05:00 pm: Enjoy adventure activities within the property
05:00 pm – 05:30 pm: Evening Tea
05:30 pm: Departure
- Transport is not included in this package. Can be arranged at an additional charge.
- Outside food / Snacks / Soft Drinks / Soda /Beer is not allowed in the property.
- Minimum No. of Pax should be 5.
- Package does not include Mineral Water Bottle & any personal expenses.
- Age Group 8 - 50 yrs
- Trekking Gears are compulsory specially shoes.